Saturday, May 4, 2013

Immigration rights march in downtown Seattle

I managed to leave work on Wednesday with time to catch up with the annual immigration rights march, which always goes past the building I work in. Until Wednesday, I'd only watched parts of it from a window at work.



Growing up, I heard stories about my great-grandfather, Adolph Munter, who immigrated to the U.S. from Prussia and was considered German. He was publicly and privately attacked during World War I because of his anti-war and "pro-German" activities, and was investigated by the OSS, the precursor to the FBI.


Adolph Munter - Spokane, Washington
He was viewed as foreign and thus suspicious. Today, we wouldn't think twice about a German Jew immigrating to our country. He was suspect because of the war that the US was then engaged in. History repeats itself.


The march on Wednesday for immigration rights was peaceful and organized. I was impressed with the wide range in ages, and the primarily Latina and Latino makeup of the march. I think my community has been enriched with these new neighbors and I am hopeful for their efforts and the efforts at the national level to reform immigrants' rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment